In the 1920s TCRT covered 524 miles of track, reaching from Stillwater and Bayport in the east all the way to Deephaven, Excelsior and Tonka Bay to the west. At this time TCRT operated more than 900 cars. Within the Twin Cities, the first interurban route opened in 1890, running down University Avenue. Other major routes were the Como-Harriet line opened in 1898, the Selby-Lake Street line opened in 1906, and the Snelling-Minehaha line opened in 1909. Below are brochures showing routes and a map highlighting scenes of streetcars in action in downtown Minneapolis.
Downtown Minneapolis Streetcars
Click the points on the map above to view historical photos of streetcars on a contemporary map of downtown Minneapolis.