This grayscale, monotone lithograph features two male figures that take up the majority of the composition. Their bodies are visible to the viewer from the lower waist up and it is difficult to tell if they are standing or kneeling. Both men are unclothed from the waist up as well, with some sort of garment indicated around each figure's hips. The man on the right has his left arm around the shoulder of the other man. His right hand is raised in front of him, with his palm facing himself and his companion. The man on the left has both of his hands raised in front of him, clasped as if in prayer. The two men's heads are bowed together and the man on the right seems to be looking at the face of the man on the left. Both elongated heads are small in proportion to their bodies. In the background of the image several trees and two houses are seen. These elements, along with spare, somewhat swirling lines which may indicate the ground below, suggest a rather sparse setting for the two men. The entire image is done using wavy contour lines, along with areas of grayish tone.
Peter Lupori ( 1918- ), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, began his teaching career at the College of St. Catherine (now St. Catherine University) in 1950-51 as assistant professor of art. He soon became associate professor and finally professor and artist-in-residence, a position he held until his retirement in 1992. He not only taught at St. Kate’s but also, the University of Minnesota, University of St. Thomas, and even Schumann Elementary School in Long Lake Minnesota. All throughout his professional career as an educator, Lupori participated in annual exhibitions while receiving endless commissions. In April 1993 St. Catherine University hosted a retrospective exhibition of Lupori’s work at the Catherine G. Murphy Gallery. A catalogue, Peter Lupori Retrospective, accompanied the exhibition. Soon after a Peter Lupori scholarship was established in his name to help support outstanding Studio Art majors at St. Catherine University. Since the mid-1950’s, graduating students from St. Catherine University have received a contemporary medal of St. Catherine of Alexandria, designed by Lupori. In 1995 Lupori began designing brass ornaments as well as charms and pins for the St. Kate’s alumnae association. Also, since his retirement, he has completed a few large commissions, including a seven-foot bronze sculpture, Our Lady, installed in front of Our Lady of Victory Chapel on St. Catherine University campus. He is married to Catherine Pribyl Lupori; they have, two children, John & Maria.
Donated by Shirley Horn June/July 2014
6.875 x 5.5 inches
framed, matted, under glass
Lupori, Peter, “Brotherhood,” Digital Collections From St Kate's, accessed December 8, 2023, https://omeka.reclaim.stkate.edu/items/show/3563.
Copy the code below into your web page