Three Women at the Tomb
Three Women at the Tomb
Three women stand in a staggered row. They are of similar height, wearing long white-colored robes with hoods. Their robes, feet, and base are coated in a matte, natural white. Only their hands and faces are exposed, covered in a glossy coating that reflects light. The woman on the viewer's left leans to her right, with her face tilted upward. Her arms are bent at the elbow, with her hands raised to her shoulders, palms facing outward. The woman in the middle stands staggered slightly behind the other two. Her face is tilted slightly upward. Her shoulders hunch forward and her arms hang straight in front of her, with her palms to her thighs. The woman on the viewer's right stands with her head severely tilted back and her neck fully stretched upward. Her arms are bent at the elbows and hands are raised to her shoulders. Her right hand faces palm to her shoulder her left hand is turned so the palm faces outward. The three women have quiet but sorrowful expressions on their faces, with eyes and mouths closed and eyebrows curving downward.
Peter Lupori ( 1918- ), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, began his teaching career at the College of St. Catherine (now St. Catherine University) in 1950-51 as assistant professor of art. He soon became associate professor and finally professor and artist-in-residence, a position he held until his retirement in 1992. He not only taught at St. Kate’s but also, the University of Minnesota, University of St. Thomas, and even Schumann Elementary School in Long Lake Minnesota. All throughout his professional career as an educator, Lupori participated in annual exhibitions while receiving endless commissions. In April 1993 St. Catherine University hosted a retrospective exhibition of Lupori’s work at the Catherine G. Murphy Gallery. A catalogue, Peter Lupori Retrospective, accompanied the exhibition. Soon after a Peter Lupori scholarship was established in his name to help support outstanding Studio Art majors at St. Catherine University. Since the mid-1950’s, graduating students from St. Catherine University have received a contemporary medal of St. Catherine of Alexandria, designed by Lupori. In 1995 Lupori began designing brass ornaments as well as charms and pins for the St. Kate’s alumnae association. Also, since his retirement, he has completed a few large commissions, including a seven-foot bronze sculpture, Our Lady, installed in front of Our Lady of Victory Chapel on St. Catherine University campus. He is married to Catherine Pribyl Lupori; they have, two children, John & Maria.
18 x 11 1/2 x 7 inches
Lupori, Peter, “Three Women at the Tomb,” Digital Collections From St Kate's, accessed December 8, 2023, https://omeka.reclaim.stkate.edu/items/show/3565.
Copy the code below into your web page