Resurrection

Dublin Core

Title

Resurrection

Description

A male figure floats in the center of this piece. His lower body is bound with wrapped fabric, beginning at the ankles and ending above the hips. The fabric comes undone behind his back and the ends of the fabric fall down along his sides. His legs are bound tightly together with knees bent, and his feet are exposed. There are holes in the tops of his feet. His upper body is exposed, with a hole in his left side. His arms are bent at the elbows and his hands are raised above his shoulders, palms facing outward. His fingers are kept close together. His left thumb crosses over his fore and middle finger. There are holes in the palms of his hands. His head is tilted at a severe angle to his right, with his face lifted upwards, so that the profile of his face is parallel with the top border of the image. He has thick dark hair covering his forehead and a beard covering the length of his face. His eyebrows are slightly raised and his eyes closed. Gentle shading provides definition to the bone structure in his face and the muscles in his chest. He is surrounded by a glowing orb, as thin hatch marks become increasingly dark toward the edges of the paper. A large triangular shape is found in lower half of the background.

Peter Lupori (1918-2014), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, began his career early as a sculptor receiving first, second and third prizes during his high school years at the National Scholastic Art Exhibit. He was awarded three scholarships to Carnegie Institute of Technology. He exhibited in the Prix de Rome Sculpture Competition in New York in ’41 and ’42 and received second prize for sculpture; he received first prize for college students’ projects ’42 in the Beaux-Arts Sculpture Competition, New York. During WWII Lupori served as a Lieutenant, 605th Engineer Camouflage Battalion 1943-1946; he was discharged as a Captain, 605th Engineer Camouflage Battalion. During these years he continued to exhibit his sculpture as well as his paintings, drawings and prints. In 1947 he received his M.Ed. in art education that launched him on a life-long journey as teacher and artist. His teaching career at the College of St. Catherine (now St. Catherine University) began in 1950-51 as assistant professor of art. He soon became associate professor and finally professor and artist-in-residence a position he held until his retirement in 1992. He not only taught at St. Kate’s but also, the University of Minnesota, University of St. Thomas, and even Schumann Elementary School in Long Lake Minnesota. All throughout his professional career as an educator, Lupori participated in annual exhibitions while receiving endless commissions. His exhibition history includes the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Associated Artists of Pittsburgh Annual, Minneapolis League of Catholic Women Liturgical Art Show, Minnesota State Fair Fine Art Exhibit, and the Walker Art Center to name a few; his commissions, as numerous as his exhibitions, include ceramic relief Stations of the Cross for a number of churches, a bronze portrait of Archbishop Brady for the St. Paul, MN Archdiocese, a 36-foot relief of the history of medicine for Fairview-Southdale Hospital, Edina, MN, a 7-part ceramic relief, “Creation”, Westminster Presbyterian Church, Minneapolis, MN, a “St. Francis” bronze statue for English Garden at St. Catherine University, St. Paul. MN, and many more. In April 1993 St. Catherine University hosted a retrospective exhibition of Lupori’s work at the Catherine G. Murphy Gallery. A catalogue, Peter Lupori/ Retrospective, accompanied the exhibition. Soon after a Peter Lupori scholarship was established in his name to help support outstanding Studio Art majors at St. Catherine University. Since the mid-1950’s graduating students from St. Catherine University have received a contemporary medal of St. Catherine of Alexandria designed by Lupori. In 1995 Lupori began designing brass ornaments as well as charms and pins for the St. Kate’s alumnae association. Also, since his retirement, he has completed a few large commissions, including a seven-foot bronze sculpture, Our Lady, installed in front of Our Lady of Victory Chapel on St. Catherine University campus. He was married to Catherine Pribyl Lupori for 56 years; they had, two children, John & Maria. Catherine died in October 2014 and Peter in December of the same year.

Source

https://cdm16120.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/fineart/id/493/rec/16

Publisher

St. Catherines University Library and Archives

Date

Unknown

Contributor

St. Catherine University

Rights

This image may not be reproduced for any reason without the express written consent of the St. Catherine University. Contact the Visual Resources Library regarding rights to this collection. 651-690-6639

Format

18 1/2 x 14 in

Language

English

Type

Print, Lithograph

Identifier

2013.0.583

Collection

Citation

Lupori, Peter , “Resurrection,” Digital Collections From St Kate's, accessed May 19, 2024, https://omeka.reclaim.stkate.edu/items/show/5045.

Output Formats

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page

2013.0.583.jpg